Beam Me Up Scotty

Finally I can put my suitcase in store for a while. It seems appropriate on International Podcast Day (30 September) that I announce my live podcast on Stitchery Stories interviewed by the wonderful Susan Weeks. Want to know how Star Trek links to landscape and creativity have a listen and also  hear other amazing tales of stitch on this weekly Podcast series. 

September started in a very wet France with Crafty Retreats. The workshop was wonderfully hosted and participants worked hard and produced fabulous works but at times, with the weather, you could have really 'Beamed me up Scotty'. There is only one place left on my course next year but with so many good artists courses on offer it is well worth checking out. 

Unfolding Landscapes Course at Crafty Retreats, Participants work in progress
During one afternoon when the sun shined we went to Oradour-sur-Glane, A village in France where the ghosts of the past live on in the shattered ruins which stand monument to the crimes which happen during war. I was hesitant to share this in my blog however the specific poignancy of seeing the rusting sewing machines which had made clothes for family and loved ones serve as sentinels to the lives that were lost.  I have friends from all over Europe so understand for a number of reasons this is a sensitive area for discussion yet I have equally grown in admiration for those friends of all nationalities who have continued to seek to heal the rifts and build on our 'humanity' (rather than the opposite.) 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' Edmund Burke. 



We also went to the historic papermaking and print museum Moulin Du Got where I could not only indulge in my love for paper but also see a fascinating exhibition of  costumes made entirely out of paper in Le Papier a du Style

September ended with a wonderful trip to the Wester Ross in Scotland with friends after three days of workshops with Diva Design Studio
 Loch Maree from Gleny Docherty
A few images of student work in progress on the course 

I am looking forward to a the Knitting and Stitching Show and although working will find the time for a brief visit. I am delighted to be taking part in the Embroiderers'  Guild Show Page 17 – a specially created exhibition of textile artistry where each piece takes a book as its inspiration. Using colour and form, design and texture, members have created works which span the contemporary, the literal and the symbolic. Your imagination will be intrigued as it follows the thread across the surface, and marvels at how the combination of cloth and thread is both a medium and metaphor, bringing to life images hidden amongst words. Delighted to have my piece 'The Edges of Australia' included. Come and see the exhibit at stand TG18


Finally, and not least, I am delighted to review Interpreting Themes in Textile Art, the new book by Cherilyn Martin and Els Van Baarle by Batsford which explores the varied ways of interpreting ideas in cloth. I have admired both artists work for quite a number of years and this beautifully illustrated book of their work and processes clearly lays out ideas for you to explore..



Comments

Popular Posts